Wednesday, October 24, 2018

TRAVEL SPECIAL ....A NIGHT’S Tale


A NIGHT’S Tale

Why you must spend one romantic night in the warmth of mystical Praha

The ride to the hotel from the international airport in my friend’s green Jag made me feel like a posh Czechi local. Since Prague is best discovered on foot, metro and trams; we dropped the beast near my hotel, took the subway and then trudged to ‘Potrefena Husa’ in ‘Platernska’ where his family was going to join us for dinner. Meeting locals is always informative; his wife and hip teenagers kept me updated on the interesting facts and bits about Czech culture. I was glad to have someone translating the menu or I would have ended up eating scampi in beef gravy or the like.
They insisted I sample the traditional soup kulajda, made of sour cream, potatoes, quail egg and mushrooms. As the expansive dinner came to a satisfying end and my Staropramen (old spring beer) hit the spot, my friend challenged my jet lag by asking me if I was ready to breathe in the real Prague.

ENCHANTING CHARLES BRIDGE
Charles Bridge, which lies seductively across the Vltava River, is a primary route between Prague Castle, MalaStrana (lesser town) and The Old Town. I stood on it, unphased by thousand-odd tourists taking in the post-sunset magnificence of surrounding domes, cathedrals, synagogues, St Nicholas Church and everything that smelt Gothic. Is that Aladdin on his magic carpet humming ‘A whole new world’? Strolling on the Stone Bridge, one can wave at local musicians, vendors and artists who captivate passersbys with their talent. This famous bridge showcases 30 statues including saints like Francis Assisi, St Anthony, Madonna and the Lamentation of Christ. Antithesis to it, not too far off, outside the Kafka museum, is the amusing ‘Pissing Fountain’, where two stark male sculptures swivel their hips and spill into a common pool, supposedly representing the two Czech cities, Prague and Brno.

BUZZING NIGHTLIFE
Prague, known for its indigenous beers and vibrant nocturnal life, nests countless watering holes and pubs. It is never too late for another beer, especially after the long hike; so we headed to Central Europe’s largest disco — Karlovy Lazne — a 15 century bathhouse with five floors, each playing its own genre of music.
Hectic and busy, we scrammed out and moved on to the more elite one – Sasazu. Paul Van Dyke, Tiesto, One Republic have all performed in this popular Asian fusion restro bar which holds up to 2,000 patrons on a weekend.

GOOD OL’ OLD TOWN SQUARE
Next morning, I suddenly felt deserted as there was nobody to hold my hand and lead me to the must-visit UNESCO-listed Old Town Square and the trendy Wenceslas Square. But thanks to the Orloj Astronomical Clock, which is the ultimate landmark, it was easy to find both. A few stops by the metro and a cobbled stretch framed by baroque townhouses and churches awaited me, making the Old Town rustically alluring.

LARGEST CASTLE IN THE WORLD
There are many ways to get to the ancient Prague Castle from Old Town but the tram is by far the most practical as it takes you right up to the castle district where one can snoop around the expansive structure that cradles the St Vitus Cathedral, Romanesque Basilica, Lobkowicz Palace, National Gallery and ebullient gardens. (Note: If it is your first time, Tram number 22 steers you to almost every scenic site in the city).
My chivalrous Czech pal who dropped me to the airport that evening, declared, ‘If you haven’t had tvarohový kolác – you haven’t tasted Praha!’ Available only in selective bakeries, the cheese) delicacy was quark (a type of the climax of the trip!
Kainaz Jussawalla
TL 14OCT18

No comments: