Sunday, January 17, 2016

PERSONAL /COMPETITOR SPECIAL............... WHAT I LEARNT FROM MY COMPETITOR(20)

WHAT I LEARNT FROM MY COMPETITOR(20)

“I Thought if Richards can Play Shots, Why can't I?“
Krishnamachari Srikkanth, Cricketer

CLAIM TO FAME: A former Indian opening batsman who was part of the 1983 World Cup-winning team, he was known for his aggressive batting style
THE LESSON: Srikkanth may not have been the most consistent opening batsmen of his time, but he certainly was among the more entertaining ones, hooking and pulling his way into cricket fans' hearts. He says among the people he learned from are West Indian batsmen Viv Richards, arguably the most merciless the sport has witnessed, and Gordon Greenidge, an attacking bats man who with Desmond Haynes formed a formidable opening pair. “I thought if they can play shots, why can't I try? It was my natural style but I benchmarked myself against those people.“
Talking of Richards, Srikkanth says what im pressed him about the Antiguan was that he never tinkered with his style.“His approach was clearly positive, whatever be the situation. That is the approach you should take. You will be in a tricky situation sometimes but you shouldn't change your style.“
Incidentally, Srikkanth was the highest scorer in the 1983 World Cup final at Lord's, and Richards the second highest.
(G Seetharaman)

ETM27DEC15

No comments: