Saturday, March 8, 2014

WOMEN SPECIAL....................... TAKE A BREAK!



WOMEN ... TAKE A BREAK!

Go on a sabbatical but find ways to stay in the game, is advice.

Taking a break is no more a ‘woman’ thing today and I see a lot of individuals deciding to take a break for studies, hobbies, parenting, nursing an ailing relative or just some time-off. However, considering a prolonged break – by quitting a job, or taking a paid or unpaid leave or going on maternity leave for that matter can be a daunting task. In the all-defiant new-age working environ, taking a sabbatical has become a well-accepted norm to a large extent.

Here are a few ways I dealt with my break and stayed in the game:

    Know your priorities and plan ahead:
My decision of taking a break was always for a compelling reason. But every time, I knew my priority at that point in my life; hence, I was confident enough to take a break. I was willing to face the consequence of not getting a job of my choice when I return from my break. And so, I was happy to look at all the available options without worrying about position or salary. I always planned ahead and drafted an action plan to complete the task for which I had taken a break.
    Negotiate your  leave: Sabbaticals for me have been rejuvenating, especially because I knew I wasn’t retiring. After each break, I was back reinvigorated and with restored energies better prepared for the future ahead. I learnt with time that in case your company does not have an explicit policy, negotiating a leave plan is a smart idea. Many progressive companies however are now drafting clear policies.
    Navigate realities at work: I have always given plenty of notice (certainly not on email) before planning a break. In my experience, it is always easier if you are considered a valued employee and you have a supportive manager. It helps, if you are responsible enough to ensure work coverage while you are away. However, it would be helpful to know the company policy on sabbaticals before planning a break.
    Make use of technology: Technology has made ‘work from home’ options easier. During my maternity break, I made time to schedule Skype chats, meetings at home, telecon and seeking support from colleagues to help with various assignments. It also helped me be at ease because I knew I was contributing.
   Establish a support network and stay in touch: While on break, I have always kept in touch with my colleagues to stay updated about all the work developments. In addition to this, I have also continued to remain active in the professional network via various mediums.
    Don’t let the unknown fears of taking a break stop you. With progressing times, as more people join the ‘sabbatical bandwagon’, the stigma attached with taking a break will fade away.

Saagarika Ghoshal’s, (director – HR, MCC IN) TAS 140305

No comments: